Mesothelioma Articles & Asbestos Cancer Information
|Articles | Cancer Hospitals | Mesolthelioma News | Organizations | Legal | Support | Glossary | Request Info|
How to Treat Mesothelioma from Asbestos Exposure
There are many forms of treatment for Mesothelioma. Their effectiveness is on a cases by case basis. Here are five possible treatments that have been used:
1) Surgery - this is where the cancerous tissue is cut out. In extreme cases where the cancer has spread to the lungs, a lung may be removed.
2) Gene therapy (still in clinical trials) - this is where a "suicide gene" is inserted into the cancer making those cells susceptible to drugs that can be used to kill the malignant cells, leaving the healthy ones behind.
3) Radiation Therapy - high energy x-rays are directed at the cancer cells to kill these cells and/or shrink the tumors.
4) Chemotherapy - drugs are placed directly into the bloodstream through pills or injection. In Mesothelioma cases these drugs can be injected into the chest cavity.
5) Intraoperative Photodynamic therapy - uses drugs and light therapy is used during surgery.The patient is injected with drugs 3 days before surgery. These drugs make them sensetive to light. A special light is shined on the cancer cells during surgery.
Speak to your doctor about the risks involved with each procedure and which would be appropriate for your individual case.
For more information go to: http://www.topmesotheliomalawyer.com/Mesothelioma_Physicians.php
Caterina Christakos is a published author and internet publisher. For more information on the types of Mesothelioma and its treatments go to: http://www.topmesotheliomalawyer.com/
|home | site map | Links | Contact|
|Copyright © 2006 http://www.cure-mesothelioma.org|